25 Jul TBRC 2019 Session 4: Hard To Evangelise In A Modern World
Hard To Evangelise In A Modern World
Many felt that it is hard for people to believe in God in the modern world. Is that a misconception or made-belief misnomer? Let’s see how Paul minister to the philosophical and religious Athenians. See also how the God encourages Paul to keep speaking in the prosperous city of Corinth.
* Technology made everything easier, including gospelisation. However, the massive amount of viewpoints run the risk of creating confusion and spreading false teachings. Even seemingly innocent Christian music may actually be hooks to draw us into false beliefs. In this sense, the modern world actually makes evangelism harder. Thus, we must be spiritually discerning and know what we are opening our hearts to.
* <Acts 17:32-33> Paul in Athens – uphill battle as Athens during that time was filled with philosophers and thinkers, and was also the religious center for every God/idol. Although dissenting voices was amplified, Paul managed to collect his people and leave.
What makes believing in God so difficult in the modern world?
(The ways Satan can deceive you)
1. Science and Atheism
- Everything must be proven with evidence and facts, E.g. evolution
- The idea that God is made up by the human mind, and people would rather believe in human philosophy
- False belief that the smarter you are, the more likely you will turn to atheism
- People by nature often believe in things without a good reason, especially people with a sinful nature
- In the modern world, the loudest voice always seems to win, E.g. what the media chooses to report begins to seem mainstream
2. People tend to be influenced by supportive social settings
- Those that bring us emotional and psychological support, E.g. group of Christian friends vs. group of regular friends (harder to speak about faith)
3. Not enough time to process/think
- The world draws us to focus on things with no true significance + information overload
- These insignificant things begin to take up all our time – no time to think about important issues
- Even some churches tend to speak about feel good messages, only provide emotional comfort but no spiritual support
Solutions / Answers:
1. Never believe the lies, go on witnessing
- Don’t believe them just because they are louder
- Continue speaking the word as modern people are spiritually starving, even if they don’t realise it
- Spiritual principle: lies will close up the door for evangelism
2. Preach the gospel that consists of 2 main elements (paradoxical but true ideas)
- Preach a gospel that people find hard to resonate – forced them to struggle with the message of Christianity vs. their own lives
But within the gospel there must be something for people to resonate – human tendency, universal ideas, E.g. love, meaning of life, freedom (from fear and guilt), morality (doing good and showing fairness)
Thus, not knowing how to evangelise is not the problem. The problem is the modern tendency to not engage with people. There are always people who are listening to the gospel, and the Truth will eventually show itself.