26 Aug How To Battle The Flesh?
How To Battle The Flesh?
Do not buy into a comfortable Christian belief. The flesh is not totally annihilated after regeneration. It merely took a backseat in our life. Yet its always waiting for the opportunity to spring up again in activity. So a true believer does have a real war going on within him, yet that is the glorious process of sanctification. Find out how to battle with your flesh!
* <1 Pe 2:11>: Brethren, I urge you to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.”
* <Gal 5:16>: So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
Do you understand the notion of “flesh” differently from the non-believer?
* Flesh = Sinful Nature
⟹ All born in flesh are given to sin, and thus under the accusation of Satan.
Verses to read:
Deeper understanding of the Flesh:
- Saint Augustine of Hippo – Confession
- The crime of Vandalism
- Audiences witnessing the gluesome sight in the Colosseum
1. The triads of the Christian enemy: The world, Flesh, Satan
1) The World – That external environment by which it is used to either persecute or tempt us
2) Flesh – That nature in us which loves every bit of the world for ourselves. It seeks a joy and pleasure without God and His truth.
3) Satan – The Accuser. The Evil one who accuses everyone who lives or succumbs to the flesh, thereby condemning them before God and tormenting their conscience.
2. Fallen state of humanity – Born in the flesh
- Flesh Vs Spirit ≠ body Vs mind.
- Flesh Vs Spirit ⟹ The power of sin in our natural fallen humanity against the influence of God (Holy Spirit)
- After regeneration, a warfare started! And that brings sanctification and struggle.
- The Flesh is not totally annihilated. It merely took a backseat in our life, but always waiting to spring up in activity.
3. Battling the Flesh
1) God started the War, and HE will win it.
2) Live by the Spirit, so as not to gratify the desires of the flesh
- For some, it could be a relatively painful process because of strongholds.
- Yet, it is never a seamless process for anyone who is truly regenerated.
3) Enjoying the Fruits of the Spirit
- Against such thing there is no law…if you’re led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
- Once we continually bear and feed on the fruits of the Spirit, the temptation of the world loses its attraction on us.
4) Overcome the accusation of Satan.
* <Rel 12:11>: They overcame him (the accuser) by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony (i.e. the word of God).
- <Rn 10:17> says: Faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (Assurance of forgiveness comes from faith in the word rather than feeling of the heart).
- Finally, know the truth about God’s complete forgiveness upon us in Christ. Seventy-Seven times of forgiveness. Thus do not accumulate our sins.
- <1 John 1:9> says: If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.