23 Sep How To Live As Christians In This World?
How To Live As Christians In This World?
- Triad of the Christians’ enemy: Flesh, World, Satan
- The laws and positive psychology of this world, even human’s willpower and experiences are powerless against the spiritual enemies.
- The Triad can only be overcome by the Holy Spirit, who is also known as the Spirit of Truth.
- Only through knowing and relying on the truth will enable us to live by the power of the Holy Spirit.
What is the World? Is it referring to a Planet or Geographical location?
⟹ It is a fallen sphere of influence in this planet, which is anti-God and man-centered.
Do not love the world or ANYTHING in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For EVERYHING in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. <1 John 2:15-16>
Verses To Read: <John 17:11-17>
- The Essenes – A group of people in Israel that in their pursue to set themselves apart from the World, they drew apart from civilization and live in isolation.
- Yet, Jesus’ prayer for us is to remain in the World, yet be protected from the evil one.
- Yet, we must critically know what is remaining in the World, yet not of the World.
Verses To Read: <Romans 12:1-2>
Conform and Transformed
- Bible said: Do not conform…, yet be transformed…
- Form – Structure and System
1) Prefix of Conform is “Con” – With
⟹ To conform means to be with the existing, leading, acceptable system and structure.
- Yet, the world also invented its own kind of non-conformism.
- E.g. Renowned German Philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche.
– Believes the decadence of the whole of Europe in the 19th century is simply becoz the vast majority of the human race lives by what he called the “dictates of a herd morality”… Calls for the super human, called the Ubermensch (those who dare to leave the herd and think for himself)
2) Prefix of Transform is “Trans” – To go over, above, beyond
⟹ Be transformed means to go over, above and beyond the existing structure of the present world.
⟹ call to true (Christ) excellence beyond the standards of the World.
* Think through: Where does our ethics, morality, sense of fairness comes from? Are they of true excellence? Do they come from God’s commandments?
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind ⟹ Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. <Romans 12:2>
- Can you share a Christian experience in your life about what is mentioned about Non-conformity?
- Can you share a Christian experience about what you saw/experience as “going over, above and beyond” the structure of the present world?