12 Nov Praying As A Friend Of God And Men
Praying As A Friend Of God And Men
Verses to read:
1. The prayer as a “friend of God”.
1) Know God well.
- Prayer appeals to God’s nature.
- Like-minded with God in requests.
2) Negotiate with God BOLDLY yet HUMBLY.
- No “self-entitled” mentality.
- <Ro 11:35> “Who has ever given to God, that God should repay them?”
3) Do we trust God?
- Why Abraham did not press God till “one righteous person”?
- Already knew God’s heart through the negotiating process.
- We need not get final specific answer, yet can be assured of God’s love and goodness.
4) It is God who initiated first.
- Not an “unwilling God pressurised by Abraham”.
- God initiated Abraham’s intercession:
- He brought up the topic first <v17, 20-21>.
- He waited for Abraham’s plea <v22>.
2. Our duty to intercede.
1) We have responsibility after knowing.
- <Jas 4:17> If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them.
- <Eze 33> 6 But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes someone’s life, that person’s life will be taken because of their sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for their blood.’ 9 But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved.
2) God still preserves the world as there are still righteous people (already and soon-to-be) here.
- We should continue to preach the gospel.
3) Intercession helps us escape the trap of self-importance.
- Reminds us that we are not the centre of the universe.
- Helps us develop real love and concern for others.
- Draws us closer to God too.
4) What to intercede?
- Known specific needs.
- Even without updates, can still pray over them with unchanging truths of God.
- Just begin interceding first!
5) Intercession should be mutual.
- Also give others the chance to intercede for you.
- Require humility to confess sins and needs to others.