24 Aug Finding Meaning In Our Lives
* The quest for significance (meaning) is built into our humanness.
* Man is created with lasting and higher meaning as image bearers of God.
* Meaninglessness actually leads to boredom, alcoholism, juvenile delinquency and even suicide.
* Sociologist Durkheim – Greatest number of suicides are caused by anomie, something rendered by meaninglessness. (Anomic suicide takes place when somebody has no goal or purpose in life, or if he has an unattainable goal in his life)
* Quality of church teaching has to increase to truly give meaning to the inner soul.
Verses to Read: <Ecclesiastes 2:1-11>
- Sigmund Freud – Man has the will to pleasure
- Alfred Adler – Man has the will to power
- Word of God – Man has the will to meaning
Solomon couldn’t find meaning through his heart
* Our fallen hearts can only tell us there is no meaning.
* Only God’s truth points us to where true meaning lies.
Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the duty of all mankind. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.
God’s Commandments and Judgment
* Commandments – What we are created for?
* Judgment – What we are ultimately destined for?
① Commandment of Reigning <Gen 1:28>
② Commandment of Obedience <Gen 2:16-17>
* Continue to reign, yet in disobedience
* Mankind will destroy each other eventually
Restoration of “true meaning” through Christ
1) Dignity and worth as God’s image bearer – Do His will
4) Call to excellence