16 Mar Jacob and Esau: A Look into God’s Election and Human Folly
Which comes first in salvation? Did we first believe in Jesus thus we are saved? Or were we first elected by God thus we could be saved in the end? From the example of Jacob and Esau, it is clear that salvation first came from God rather than any human factor. But while God offers grace, let us not be foolish to miss out on His grace. Often, when we exaggerate our needs and feelings and pursue instant gratification, we fall into folly. But the word of God can make us wise for salvation. Thus, may we treasure the word of God and take it seriously, so that we can stay on the course of wisdom.
Verses to Read: <Genesis 25:21-34>
1. God’s election not dependent on human works.
1) Esau and Jacob both undeserving sinners.
- Esau’s folly and sin did not make Jacob less sinful.
- Though God does not approve of Jacob’s method, God can still use it to fulfill His plan.
2) Salvation is by God’s sovereign grace alone.
- Divine grace not based on any human factor.
- Receive assurance of salvation from “God-factor”.
- Salvation starts from God, not us <Ep 1:4; Ro 10:14-15>.
- God’s saving plan cannot be frustrated by human sin.
3) Yet, we cannot judge who is “Esau” or “Jacob”.
2. The folly of despising spiritual blessings.
* Birthright: Special status of firstborn >>> symbolizes the father’s strength >>> double share of inheritance
1) It was not merely a moment of folly for Esau, but he had always been foolish.
- <Heb 12:16>: Esau was godless to sell his birthright.
- <Gen 26:34-35> Esau married pagan women, bringing grief to his parents.
2) How can we avoid falling into folly?
(a) Beware of “exaggerated needs or feelings”.
(b) Beware of “instant gratification”.
- Impatience = Folly
(c) Restore wisdom from the word of God.
- Always choose to recall, believe and act by God’s truth first.
- The word of God makes us wise for salvation <2 Ti 3:15>.
3. The struggle between people of God and those who are not.
- <v23> “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you shall be divided.” [ESV]
- Spiritual VS Carnal; Holy Spirit VS Flesh
- We need to live differently from the world.