14 Sep Understanding And Resolving Anger
<Eph 4:26-27, 31-32> ESV
26 Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and give no opportunity to the devil (Or: Do not give the devil a foothold).…. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
Be angry and do not sin <v26>
1) Intrinsically and inherently, anger in itself is not a sin.
2) Understand “Righteous Anger” – Can be a powerful force to put a stop to sinning.
3) Yet, our anger many a times lacks element of “righteousness”.
4) Individuals, Family and World are all terribly affected by anger
2. DO NOT let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold <v27>
1) Persistent/prolonged anger invites the devil to work.
2) Prolonged anger can open a way for the devil in our hearts to make his lies believable to us.
Causes of anger and Answers to it
⟹ Learn Submission and Love
2) Frustration (Thru repeated disappointments)
⟹ Grow in True Love (Always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres)
⟹ Even accepting and even adapting to someone who doesn’t change quickly)
⟹ Understand that internal and emotional pain are more hurting than physical ones
⟹ Learn how to relate your pain/hurt rather than retaliation
⟹ Most important, look to the Cross of Calvary – The greatest pain ever inflicted, yet brought redemption.